The core to the entire setup process of network is the wireless router. Whether there is a faultless network or a troublesome network, everything depends upon the router. That is why, it is important to know about the router before planning to buy one.
Internet Service Provider’s Router
Usually, a default router comes along with the package when you sign up with an internet service provider. These routers are a combination of modem and router. Though, they are less serviceable, they are budget routers and cost-effective. But, if you want a more effective router, then the provider will recommend compatible equipment which can be bought online. For a better performance and speed, it is better to buy one of your own.
Wireless standards are undergoing rapid change in the past decade. There are new standards like the 802.11ac being utilized the newer devices for efficient speeds over wi-fi connectivity. Hence, buying a router that supports this standard is important to enjoy the full performance.
Some More Tips
- Hardware is not forever. It will keep changing according to the new standards and also, with lots of load to the device, there will be a degradation in the performance over time. If your router is an old one, it might be time change it to a new one.
- There are many routers available based on the price tag. Hence, the choice of the router is also based on the budgetary preference. It is difficult to recommend budget routers to a person who uses internet more and vice versa. Unless required, an average router is enough for every day usage.
- A gigabit router will be a good choice for future purposes too, when there is a need for an upgrade.
- The choice between single-band and dual-band is simple. If you are in a crowded place, then dual-band will do the magic else a single-band is sufficient.
- While buying a router, it is better to buy a power-line adapter for extending the network.
- Routers are getting smarter and powerful. They help in prioritizing the traffic and gets updated automatically.